Have IT hardware failures hindered your business’s success? If so, you already understand the inadequacy of a break/fix IT support model. If not, it’s only a matter of time before a hardware failure interferes with your broader business goals.
How does your business think about IT? Do you wait until something breaks to repair it? That’s the basic idea behind a break/fix mentality. Or do you have an ongoing plan in place for proactively repairing and replacing IT components before critical failure? That’s the approach a managed service provider (MSP) can help you adopt.
In this post, we’ll explore the pros and cons of the break/fix IT support model and explain why a more proactive approach is vital to your ongoing business success.
The Fatal Flaw of a Break/Fix Support Model
When your business adopts a break/fix IT strategy, you only reach out to an IT provider when you require their services, most frequently when something breaks down or for a particular project. When something “breaks,” the IT provider of your choice “fixes” it, hence the term break/fix.
Let’s run through a hypothetical scenario that commonly affects businesses still relying on a break/fix service model—your network stops working. With a break/fix model, it’s going to remain down until you follow through on a number of inefficient steps:
- You contact an IT provider or several providers to figure out when they can send out a technician at their earliest convenience.
- After you’ve decided which provider to go with, you then have to wait for the technician to arrive. If you’re a new customer, your network isn’t their top priority, so you may have to wait for hours or even days. All the while, your team struggles to remain productive, your clients are left by the wayside, and you’re losing revenue.
- The technician arrives and works to identify the problem. Depending on the severity of the issue, this may take hours. If the provider is unfamiliar with your network, it may take days.
- Once the problem has been identified, the IT provider clarifies your options for repair. Prospective solutions often vary in terms of cost, timeliness, and the sustainability of a solution. Your team then has to decide which option is best for your ongoing needs.
- After you’ve decided on a solution, the IT provider has to go about procuring the necessary network components and planning the repair. This process can take anywhere from days to weeks when hard-to-find parts are required.
Starting to see the problems with a break/fix mentality? In short, the break/fix route breeds inefficiency. That’s because the IT services provider takes a hands-off approach to your organization’s technology needs. Your team is responsible for day-to-day network management, and when something that’s outside of your team’s capabilities goes wrong, you’re left at the mercy of the regional IT market.
So why do businesses continue to rely on a break/fix approach to their information technology? When planning IT expenses, companies frequently look for ways to cut technology costs, and on the surface level, a break/fix model allows them to accomplish that goal in the short run. The thinking goes that they won’t have to pay anything for IT until they absolutely have to. While a break/fix approach may save them money today, it actually ends up costing more in the long run when network and technology problems inevitably arise.
Break/Fix vs. Managed Services
If you’re looking for more than a break/fix IT platform, what’s your best option? For businesses that want to break free from break/fix, managed IT services offer the ideal solution. Instead of putting off IT costs until something breaks, you partner with an ongoing IT service partner. Your organization pays them a fixed amount for IT services each month. Unlike with a break/fix partnership, managed services allow your IT partner to provide a hands-on approach to your network needs. They take the time to understand the intricacies and operations of your network on a personal level.
While keeping you one step ahead of any proactive repairs or upgrades that may need to be made, they also work continually to leverage the latest technology and optimize network performance. Should a problem arise, you’ll know exactly who to call, and your managed IT partner will be able to pinpoint the problem and develop a solution significantly faster than a break/fix provider ever could.
Depending on the terms of the contract, you may not even have to pay for network repairs or upgrades other than your normal monthly fee. Ultimately, when you partner with the right MSP, they work to save you money in the long run by protecting you from surprise IT expenses and extensive network downtime.
Break Free From Break/Fix With the Los Angeles IT Support Experts
The Los Angeles IT experts at Be Structured have already helped dozens of businesses transition away from the inefficiency of a break/fix mentality to a more proactive managed service model. We specialize in designing a comprehensive managed IT service program around your organization’s specific needs and goals. Our approach ensures that your team has access to the latest technology while preparing your IT platform to respond to tomorrow’s business challenges.
Still not sure how managed IT services from Be Structured can benefit your day-to-day business operations? We answer that exact question in our blog “Managed IT Opens The Door To High-Level Technology.” If you’d rather talk with one of our experts about the potential benefits you’re missing out on, contact us today.